Thursday, 19 August 2010

Today I have been making Jam!

I have been wanting to try making jams for years. The biggest problem has been getting enough fruit. We make a lot of Blackberry and Apple crumble, but we don't get enough blackberries to do much of anything else. I think I will try to change that soon. Because today I made my first batch of jam ever - plum jam. The plums came from the community allotment.



It looks very pretty and clear. More so than in the photo. (The apples are from the community allotment as well!) But I don't know if the half jar will be ok, and there does seem to be some white stuff on the top of one jar, which I have read about in recipes. hmmmmm

I am slightly worried that I boiled it for too long, and it is actually going to set into very large plum flavoured boiled sweets, but we shall see. It was fun anyway, and I am ready to try again! And licking out the pan was tasty!

3 comments:

Tish said...

that's quite funny, both you and mum's most recent posts are about jam making!!!

julie ridley said...

That is because your mum inspires me! That, and that fact that Al came home from the allotment last night with a load of plums. :-)

martine said...

I'll do you a swap:-)
much love martine