Well, it occurs to me that the name of this blog means that I will have to be witty. I actually chose the name because I enjoy wit, and intelligent humour, not because I am particularly witty. But I will try. I will perhaps someday, tell the story of my first attempt at a sock, when I misread 45 more rounds as 15 more rounds. I was all excited to complete grafting my toe, only to find I had a sock that would have perfectly fit somebody whose foot consisted only of a heel.
Of course, I would quickly point out that I now know how to undo grafted stitches. :-) So it was a learning experience.
But I am being serious for a minute today. Although I am living in Manchester, I am originally from America. Springfield, IL to be exact. And, like many Americans, I am proud of my country at the moment, because we have elected Barrack Obama to the office of President of the United States. I wrote to friends in the States that I was feeling proud, and one of them rightly pointed out that I hadn't been that impressed with the president elect during his campaign. So I wrote to her to explain some of my feelings and thought I would post them here.
"I think it is the idea, and the history that is being made, rather than the man himself. The reason I am not as excited as others is that I don't know why we should be happy that there is a man who plays the politics game better than anybody else. He had loads of money, and he is a great orator, and he is charismatic. I like that he seems to actually have a brain working behind that facade, that he seems engaged with the issues, but the fact is that he is an ambitious and polished professional politician. We won't know for a while whether or not there is reason for all of the good will. I'm just caught up in it as well. I am proud to be a part of history. I am proud that so many Americans actually became engaged with the campaigns, that there was such high voter turnout, and that the left actually had somebody to vote for. One of the reasons the right keeps winning in America is that there are no substantial left wing candidates. The left maintain the middle road in order to win politically. What many Americans seem to really want, is SOMETHING to vote FOR. And this election proves that. So I am more excited about the ideology than I am about the man.
Research shows that voter turnout is higher when there are big ideological differences between candidates. Countries who have Socialists, and Conservatives, and Nationalists running in their elections have higher political participation. America doesn't have anything for the left to identify with, so there is a huge portion of the electorate who do not participate in politics, who do not even vote because there is nothing worth voting for. This election there was some to vote for. But I do feel that the thing that we were voting for was America's first black president. The "CHANGE" we voted for was a huge change in our history, it was ideological, but not practical. Barrack Obama played the game that professional politicians play. Usually the Republicans are better at it. Usually they have the pithy answers, they have a handle on the mood of the nation, and play with the symbolism of America being great, and patriotism, and try to make people feel good, without actually doing anything practical. Well, what I see is that the Democrats managed that this time.
But, this is a man who is spouting the same fear inspiring rhetoric about the Middle East, and making sure America is Great in the world, and keeping Iran from developing nuclear weapons, and who voted for anti-privacy legislation in the Senate. The irony is that the reason I voted for him in the end was because of some of his domestic policies, but it is his foreign policy which is going to negatively impact on me the most.
What I want to see in American politics is a complete overhaul of the political machine. Political advertising on television and radio should be banned. You should not be able to buy public office. The national networks should be compelled to offer equal amounts of time to candidates of parties with a certain minimum number of members. That would allow a greater voice to alternatives, but still keep the really marginal (and/or comic) groups at bay. What we have here are Party political broadcasts, the main TV channels have to allow a regular 10 or 15 minute slot to each party before a national campaign. I think that is a brilliant idea, and it could be built on. Debates should be more frequent, and less formal and the audience should be allowed to ask questions of the candidates.
America needs a nationalized health system. I don't understand people's fear about this. As if it is Socialism run amok. Actually, it is a really good idea, and it certainly would not do away with private health care. Gasoline needs to be taxed 5 times as much as it is now. And the money from those taxes can go into developing really good transportation links. Electric Trams and buses, coorporate car sharing schemes, community car sharing schemes, etc. The idea that being American means that you have the right to your freedoms no matter how they impinge on others' rights needs to be challenged. Americans do not have the right to cheap gas at the expense of the environment that we share with other nations. Americans do not have the right to cheap consumer goods at the expense of the health of those in developing nations. Americans do not have the right to act as the world's pompous and ideological leader when we don't even take care of our own citizens. Guantanamo Bay, capital punishment, treating children as adults in the courts, the EXPANSION of poverty WITHIN our borders, the erosion of civil liberties,- these things keep my optimism in check.
Why are we optimistic right now? Because we are hoping for change. But who is willing to pay the price for change? Most of us want the status quo to be maintained. Because we all secretely have, at the back of our minds, this idea of the American Dream. Someday we will make it. If a black man can be elected to the oficce of President of the United States, then it really is true. You can accomplish anything in America. Actually, all that does is maintain the ideology, make people think that those at the bottom of the social hierarchy are there because they haven't got what it takes to make it. After all, anybody with $600,000,000 can make it.
Ok, so maybe I am cynical. But it isn't my natural state - it is a learned state. I am still optimistic. I am still hoping for the change we need. And I am still prouc of my fellow countrymen. For now. "
Right, back to the knitting. Pretty yarn helps me not think about the big bad world.
Peace
Julie
No comments:
Post a Comment