Ramblings from the mind of a woman who spends rather too much time making things from lovely yarns. Or... Ramblings from the mind of a woman who doesn't have nearly enough time to make all the things she wants to from lovely yarn.
Thursday, 4 February 2010
Loving Che
This is another one of those books that I just happened to pick up at the library, and which turns out to be wonderful. Perhaps it is because I had no expectations, having never read anything by the author, Ana Menendez. I picked it up thinking it would be good for the Women Unbound reading challenge, and because we had just watched the films Che part 1 and Che part 2.
It is the story of a young woman who has grown up in Miami, raised by her grandfather, who fled with her from Cuba. After her grandfather dies, she tries to find her mother. The novel is not about the search, or the yearning, but is about the stories of the two women, her and her mother Teresa.
The book begins and ends with the nameless young woman. The middle of the book is Teresa's story. Ana Menendez does a wonderful job of giving these women their own voices. And the language is beautiful. The prose is very poetic, romantic, fluid, without being mushy or sentimental. I really enjoyed reading it just because the words were so nice to read.
I don't want to give too much away, because I want to recommend this book. It is a quick read and leaves you with some things to think about, as you don't really know what to believe at the end. There is not much political discussion, which seems odd in a book about Che Guevera, but the revolution is there, in the periphery, which almost makes it more real.
I will definitely be having a look for some more Ana Menendez works.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Dear Julie,
Came across your blog while looking into the reading challenge. Kudos for doing so many wonderful and creative things with your children. We have four children; three which are currently at univeristy and one 16 yr old who creates more drama than 10 children! I loved the photos of the snow people and tye-dying. We have done the same activites and continue to do them for laughs when everyone is home. Our yard was littered with tye-dying last summer. Shirts hanging from the trees! "Loving Che" looks like an intresting choice and I look forward to reading it. I have never blogged so this will def. be a new adventure for me. It will be exciting to be communicating with such bright and capable women! Best of luck on all your endeavors! artwitch(aka Dee)
Hey, nice to meet you Dee. I believe you are the first person who I haven't met in real life to comment on my blog. :-) So now you have to take time from your reading to write on yours! :-)
I am quite enjoying the reading challenge, but I find that I have more books that I WANT to read, and not enough time.
Post a Comment