Wednesday, 15 April 2009

Books!?!

I am reading an actual book. That is I am not reading something with or for the kids, and am not rereading something I read ages ago, and am actually near the point of finishing this one.

I have been so busy and/or lethargic for the past few months, that I haven't really had the chance to read anything for myself, which is a bit depressing, especially as I have been reading Martine's blog about all the things she has been reading! At least I get to read her blog :-)

R got me a copy of Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night for Mother's Day. Like many people, I have only read The Great Gatsby, and that was at school. S did it in her English literature A level, and was later motivated to read Tender is the Night herself. I was looking at her library copy and got inerested just in time for her to take it back, so R had the great idea, of getting me my own. :-)

I must say I am enjoying it immensely. It isn't necessarily a pleasant book, and some of the annotations are annoying, if only because I am compelled to read them, which disrupts the flow, but it is very well constructed, and the characters are much more fully developed than those in Gatsby. Fitzgerald is rather talented when it comes to evoking the period, isn't he?

But I am just coming to the end of Book II, and I am getting ready for the bomb to drop. The tension is definitely building...

To be continued....

1 comment:

martine said...

Am so glad to see you enjoying reading, I think it can be the best way to get out of feeling crappy is to get truly absorbed in something. I know what you mean about footnotes, you feel you have to read them or you might be missing something but they are disruptive.