As far as knitting goes, for the past couple of years I have resolved to finish on-going projects. Funny, but I have the same on-going projects. I have gotten better (more experienced and focused I think) at finishing things that I start, but I do have a handful of things from the past 4 years or so that I haven't gotten around to finishing, and I would like to find the time and energy and motivation to finish them.
At the moment, I have this idea, that I will have monthly goals, and this month I am working on 3 things. I have joined the Crochet Shoulder Wrappers group on Ravelry, and there are a few shawls and cowls that I would love to make, so I started this month doing the Anna Shawl, which is pretty basic, but nice. This is the first of my 3 January projects and I have finished the crocheting this morning. I have made it big and warm and chunky and comfy. I used James C Brett Marble Chunky, which I have never used before, and would have usually rejected as being 100% acrylic, but I wanted chunky and cheap, and it was also the only colours that the Meister and I could agree on. We are supposed to be 'sharing' this one.
I think really that has more to do with me wanting to justify buying the yarn, ("But it isn't for ME!") than any practicality. I mean, she is 12 and about a size 8-10 (3-5 US) and I am, well.... NOT! I have made this huge thing, using 600 grams of yarn, and it is rather cuddly. The Meister was not too diplomatic when she said she was happy to use it as a blanket. Just have to sort out if I am going to block it. It needs something, but I have never blocked acrylic before.
I am also working on a pair of nearly fingerless gloves for the Boy. He wants these - Cigar Gloves. I made a pair for Al a couple of years ago, and now the Boy wants his as well. I have some King Cole Merino in a medium blue. I have started them, but then got carried away with the shawl. This is number 2 thing I plan to finish in January. I think the matching hat will have to wait until next month. Number 3 thing is the cabled shorts I started a while back for the Changeling and mentioned briefly before. I really do have to finish these this winter. I will lose all motivation once the weather gets warmer, and next year she will most likely be away at university. I have been struggling with the pattern, and then I was on a roll for a while, and then got distracted by craft fair things and Christmas knitting.
Although, to be honest, I hardly did any Christmas knitting. I made a nice pair of socks for my father in law, a shawl for my Aunt Edith, a hat for Uncle Bob, and a pretty shawlette for my Mum. Do I have any photos of them? No, because I had to get them in the post to get to America for the holidays, and I was so efficient and organised (read headless chicken-like) that I forget to get photos.
The thing I did get photos of, are the ones that were late, and were a very nice New Year's present. These are Susie's Reading Mitts but apparently you can't get the pattern any longer. There was some confusion about copyright, but I managed to download the pattern during the time when it was up on Ravelry. And I am glad, because they are lovely. They are knitted in Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK on 3.25 mm dpns. And since my tension got tighter and tighter the closer we got to Christmas, I actually knitted three of these in order to get a pair that matched in size. ;-) But never fear, I will get some more yarn, and the Changeling wants a pair as well. That will have to be a February project!And here is a little hat I made for the Babe. Because she doesn't have enough hats. (note sarcasm.) It is a slightly modified Brr Baby Beanie. She actually keeps this one on her head occasionally. :-) The photo is a crap mobile phone camera photo but it does look sweet in real life. It was made using Sirdar supersoft Aran, which is another 100% acrylic, but great for making things for toddlers that are going to need machine washing regularly. And it is actually super soft, so makes good hats for all ages. I use the Sirdar a lot when making things for my craft fairs.
I think I am losing a bit of snobishness when it comes to acrylic yarns. I am finding that they are nicer than all the ones from the 70s and 80s that come to mind when I think of acrylic. I really want to make a couple of baby blankets with this yarn.
Here is photo of some more Sirdar supersoft in the same colour. I combined it with the lace mohair to make a really cute little beret for a friend's 1 year old foster baby. But guess what? Forgot to get a photo. Maybe that should be my New Year's Resolution - to remember to photograph things?!
But my stated goal for this month is to finish three things.
1) The Anna Shawl
2) Cigar Gloves
3) Rebecca cabled shorts
Guess I better get to it!



No comments:
Post a Comment