Monday, 13 December 2010

Christmas spirit

I do find it hard to get into the holiday happy mode when we are so busy. When the kids were little, we used to spend time painting or embossing cards, going for walks along the Mersey getting holly to make our wreaths, baking gingerbread men and generally having a nice time. We even spent years getting Indian take away, so we would spend Christmas day WITH the kids, rather than in the kitchen, cooking a meal they weren't going to eat anyway.

Now they are older, and we have several end of term concerts and productions and fairs and parties, from Scouts, Guides, Music service, for Charity, fundraising, drama, and the home ed group. And a couple of birthday parties thrown in, which are more important so those with December birthdays don't feel left out. And phew. Christmas spirit goes out the window, and grumpy stressed out mother who needs December to be 6 weeks long is here.

Plus it has not been nice for Al, as there have been 6 redundancies at his work in the past fortnight. It is a small company, so this is a big deal. Nobody wanted it, but I guess it was either some people go, or everybody is out of a job. And those left behind get no overtime payments anymore, and have to do the same work, with less people, for less money. There was a week of worry about who was going, and then the interviews and announcements and it is all yucky. He is very sad, and I am sad for him, but also just stressing out about the financial side at home, and thinking I may have to get a job. Which I was looking forward to a couple of years ago, but not now we have a 14 month old. I am really enjoying being a parent of a toddler, with no other toddlers or babies, and having learned not to stress about all of the baby stuff, I think I may do ok this time.

And I haven't finished any Christmas knitting. I just kind of wish the world would let me off for a few days, and then I promise to come back and be productive.

No comments: