Tuesday, 2 March 2010

Autonomous learning in action

Ok, so this autonomous education thing sometimes still bewilders me. I
don't mean that I don't believe in it, or that I am not 100% confident
in my children's ability to learn. It is just that sometimes, things are
a bit odd. like the role The Simpsons has played in their education.
The Simpsons is how they learned about puffer fish, and what started
C on his Edgar Allen Poe kick.
So, this morning over breakfast, C was asking me what the 2s meant
in things like H2O and CO2. So we had a little chat about hydrogen,
carbon and oxygen molecules. Then I thought I would show him the
periodic table of elements, just to see if he was interested. He has a
great memory. So great in fact that he already knew about the periodic
table, and could rattle off the first 8 elements in order. Why? Not
because he has been secretly studying it. But because of the Dan le
Sac/ Scroobius Pip song, Development. So we are off to listen to music
now...

No comments: