Monday, 14 March 2011

Gone and arrived!

What is gone are the Gentleman Socks. Frogged. With Glee.

I had gone back to them, figured out where I was in the pattern, turned the heel, kept up that twisted rib, and then suddenly I was missing stitches, and couldn't figure out what I had done wrong (which was knit while watching a film.)  I knitted back and bit, and some more, and eventually just pulled out my DPNs and pulled out a few rounds. I found my mistake, and started picking up the stitches again. Usually, this is a fairly straightforward exercise. But with all of these twisted stitches, it isn't. I had out my crochet hooks, was picking up so many dropped stitches, but I was perservering...I had come this far, I was damn well going to continue!

I only threw it across the room once! And then I went back that next day, nice and calm - again determined to finish these damn socks. The yarn kept splitting - I was picking up bits.  And then it hit me. I WAS GOING TO HAVE TO DO THIS ALL OVER AGAIN! I WAS ONLY ON THE FIRST SOCK!

So they have been frogged. :-)  And I am trying to decide what to do with the yarn now. I thought I would try socks on two circulars, or doing toe-ups- or maybe magic loop? But it was all too much for me. I could not make all of the necessary decisions. So I will do a regular cuff down pair of socks, and maybe stick a cable on them or something.

The thing that has arrived is a photo of the one who has flown the coop in her Rowan Felted Tweed jumper that I knit for her just in time for spring. :-)



The other thing that has arrived (after I went out to get it) is some yarn. I know I am supposed to be on a self inflicted yarn buying ban, but Purl City Yarns are having a March Madness sale, and they have King Cole Merino Chunky for £2.50 a ball. I am meant to be doing the Owls jumper for R before autumn, and this would be really good for that project, so I gave myself leave to buy that yarn. :-) R and I hopped on a bus, and went into Manchester, and had quite a nice time. She introduced me to vintage heaven as well. As for the yarn, she narrowed it down to the cream or the green, and they didn't have enough of the cream, so green it is going to be. But the cream would have been lovely. hmmm......I wonder if I can find that online anywhere.....

2 comments:

cat said...

I had some "issues" with the owlet. too long in the sleeves and much to tight in the body. just saying look closely at your gauge/pattern before you get too far in...

julie ridley said...

I will if I ever actually get to it. :-) Of course, the Changeling is tall and skinny so maybe just right for this pattern. She is grateful to take after her dad's side of the family...